Monday, March 14, 2016



Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Tundra Books
Release Date: March 8, 2014
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: The Rephaim #3
Synopsis
Gaby thought her life couldn't get more complicated.

She's almost used to the idea that she's not the teenage backpacker she thought she was. She can just about cope with being one of the Rephaim--a 139-year-old half-angel--whose memories have been stolen. She's even coming to grips with the fact that Jude, the brother she's mourned for a year, didn't die at all.

But now Rafa--sexy, infuriating Rafa--is being held, and hurt, by Gatekeeper demons. And Gaby has to get the bitterly divided Rephaim to work together, or Rafa has no chance at all.



Warning: Shimmer is the 3rd book in the Rephaim series and there will be spoilers for the first two books in the series. This review is intended for readers who already read Shadows (book 1) and Haze (book 2).

*****

I spent the last week binge reading ShadowsHaze, and Shimmer. Usually I like to take breaks in between books in a series (and read other books--preferably in a different genre) because I don't like to stay in the same world for too long. But, I made an exception with the Rephaim series, because I'm part of the blog tour and I needed to read the whole series. But, surprisingly, I didn't mind being immersed in the same world book after book because I wanted to know more and I wanted all the answers.

Addicting. That is the perfect adjective to describe the Rephaim series. 

Just to recap, Gaby and her twin brother Jude got into an accident. Gaby survived and Jude didn't. Gaby, still mourning her brother's death, ended up in a beach town called Pandanus Beach. Almost a year after the horrific accident, a stranger named Rafa showed up and turned Gaby's life upside down. Rafa knew things about her brother and about herself--about a another life that seemed impossible, where Gaby was a Rephaim (a half-angel) and one of their best fighters against demons and hellions. Then, in addition to wrestling with the mystery of a whole other life she didn't remember, she learned that Jude may still be alive. After being sidetracked by all the things in Haze, Gaby finally reunites with Jude. And then we lost Rafa to the demons, which brings us to Shimmer.

So, we got introduced to the world of the Rephaim in Shadows and by the end of that book I had so many questions. Then, in Haze a few questions were answered, but again by the end of the book I had even more questions. Well, I finally got answers to my some of my burning question in Shimmer, but there were twists I did not see coming. Like with that one characters I was always suspicious of, but I wasn't expecting that. Paula Weston really excels in the slow reveal and unexpected the twists and turns, and she really keeps the reader on their toes and that's why I am still reading deep into the night without any regard for the fact that I have to go to work the next day and deal with 22 crazy second graders.

Rafa wasn't in Shimmer as much as he was in Shadows and Haze, because he was captured by the Gatekeeper demons. I missed having a lot of him around, but it was also nice to see Gaby stand on her own without Rafa. Initially, I worried that she'll start acting the typical YA heroine, making dumb decisions because her big, strong man was taken away. But, Gaby never had that problem and I loved her all the more for it. She really came to her own in this novel, and we see how much she has grown physically, mentally, and emotionally since Shadows (which, when you think about it wasn't that long at all). 

Of course, like in the previous books in the series, we get more stories about Gaby's life as Gabe from her Sanctuary and Outcasts friends. And speaking of those loyal to the Sanctuary and the Outcasts, I love that Rephaim weren't divided in a good vs. bad kind of deal. I read the three books one right after the other, and there's a large cast of characters and at times it was hard to keep up with everyone. At first, I was trying to keep everyone straight by trying to figure out who's "good" and who's "bad." But there wasn't a clear distinction between the Sanctuary side and the Outcasts side--they both have their positives as well as their negatives. However, if it's been a while since you read Haze, you'll be happy to know that a "who's who" list is included in Shimmer with mini bios of the characters.

Shimmer was amazing. I really can go on and on about this book, and the other books in the series. After reading the first two books in the series, I've come to expect an adrenaline rush of a read in Shimmer and that was exactly what I got: crazy, kick-ass action, full of unexpected twists and turns and some secrets revealed, fully fleshed out cast of characters, a heroine I can get behind of and root for, sexy, sexy Rafa, the sexual tension between Gaby and Rafa **fans self**, and that cliff-hanger ending that was all kinds of frustrating (I took off a half-star for that because ugh). I am beyond excited for Burn, where EVERYTHING will finally be revealed--I need Burn in my eager hands yesterday!

Seriously, do not miss out on this series. It's INCREDIBLE!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.